Monday, November 7, 2011

What is more superlative than an epiphany?

That's a rhetorical question, because I'm not sure there really is a word for today, it was so bloody freaking amazing, I am completely kerfluffled. At breakfast I learned that a few people were going up to Montserrat on this perfectly glorious sunshiny day. Did I want to go too? WELL YEAH! I ran upstairs, threw on some clothes, grabbed the camera and freshly charged battery, zoomed out the door and away we went. It's about a half hour drive, and we could see the odd stone formations of the Montserrat mountain range from every angle along the way. A windy road, views for miles every which way, and too many ohmygods to count! (And a few holy craps too!!)

After a bit of moseying around, we opted for the museum first. GOOD PICK. It's quite a wonderful collection, including Sisley, Renoir, Monet, Pissarro, John Singer Sargent (that was a surprise!), a couple of early Picasso's--very classical in style--and many many many wonderful modernist Spanish painters. I scribbled the names of the Spanish artists whose work I especially liked in the margins of the guide map; 18 of them, I won't list them all here. Well......... drumroll please....... already duly impressed, I went down the stairs to the next level and KA-POW!!! An enormous Joaquim Mir, that baby must be 10' x 12' and it is so spectacular, it truly stopped me in my tracks. I will be returning as soon as possible to spend the whole day in that museum, because there is a whole section of Mir's paintings there. Ha. And here I had been scouring the web for where to find some Mir paintings! They are right "in my back yard"!!

[aside: my novel writing teacher would be giving me a LOT of flack for all of these exclamation points, which are verbotten in real writing!!!! ]

The museum was cut short in order to dash over to the Basilica (monestery) to hear the boy's choir at 1pm. The singing began as we inched along in a line to see the "black Madonna". Along the way, we had the best views in the house, overlooking the parishioners in the pews below, and overseeing the whole interior, which is just painfully exquisite--ohmygosh, it puts the Vatican and Notre Dame and any other ol' run-of-the-mill cathedral to shame.

The only bad news is that my camera crapped out on me. But never fear, m'dears, Greg has a contraband photo of the Mir painting on his camera, which I hope to get hold of tomorrow, and Jackie has several shots of the interior of the Basilica promised to me, so I am forever indebted to them for saving the day, photographically.

In the meantime, for you impatient sorts who want to google it, here's the info: Joaquim Mir, "Cala Sant Vicenç-Mallorca", 1902, 280 x 400 cm. I find no reprodutions on the web that even remotely look like the painting, tho'. My "thumb drive" impatiently awaits the morning. And this stupid picture of me--which is the one that broke my camera!!!!!!!!!!--will have to stand in. Hasta manaña!

3 comments:

  1. HOLY FREAKING COW KAY!!!! i can't believe how amazing your trip is so far and what a crazy amount of (fantastic) painting you have accomplished. i'm speechless. so inspiring. thank you so much for recording it. i am going to be checking your blog on a daily basis from now on. i'm so excited about all of it! geez, i now realize how much i miss it over there. it's been too long!! and so heart warming to hear of the friendships you are making there.

    rissaxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rissa! Thanks for posting a comment, it makes it worth spending the time on the blog to know someone is enjoying it! Yeaaa, you! And yeaaa Janie... she's the only other one who has left comments here. (Although I know David is reading it too, otherwise I'm not sure anyone else is "along for the ride".) I miss everybody... some days are easier than others. I'm glad I dove right in to painting, because it's getting harder to go into studio to work, as the days remain sunny and I am curious about what's out there around me. Big hug. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay!! I have shared your blog with Carolyn Pentecost, who was as jealous as I am! Rissa, have you spent time in Spain as well? That's it! I have to go! One thing I'm loving about your trip, Kay, is that you're looking and discovering as much as you are painting. I mean, who ever heard of an author who never reads? Right? Artists have to see and discover all the time, and maybe the trap of having a new place to paint is also that it's a new place to look as well! Good luck with that! Time management! Haha!

    ReplyDelete