Saturday, November 26, 2011

OK, it's official. This is ridiculous.


How did this happen? I'm still reeling. I happened to notice a poster for a Delacroix exhibit, over at the CaixaForum. [Some banks do good deeds. This one--Caixa Bank--is doing all the good deeds for all of the despot banks in the world!!] As I write, it was yesterday now that I hoofed it over there and... good fah-reeeeakin' lord... this is just... sputter sputter... GAH! Delacroix is the reason I went to France, almost two years ago now, and I didn't get to see much of his work then. I went to his house, and that was cool to see how he constructed his studio out in back of his Paris flat. But the work there wasn't his best, and all of that is a long story anyway, let's stay in Spain now.

Yes, here I am in Spain, and I got to see the "...most complete presentation since the centenary show at the Louvre in 1963." Yeah. It just happens to be here now, and I'm here now, and I just don't get why the gods are smiling on me so radiantly, they are fairly drooling on me!!!!! I don't know how many works there are in the exhibit... 100? 200? It spans his entire career and includes the amazing "The Women of Algiers in Their Apartment," 1834, which is enormous and exquisite and I'll have to go back and sit in front of that one. I don't know what else to say about this occurance, there's just too much to say, so I'll move on. So, so sorry I couldn't take photos in the exhibit. The second pic here is outside of CaixaForum, it's the most ginormous "living wall" that I've ever seen. Just for scale, up there in the top left corner is a little dot... no, a speck!... that's a guy's helmut, and his green suit, he's in the cage at the end of that long arm, tending to the plants.

My day ended with a very fun gathering of international expats. I found MadridBabel online (through InterNations) and, long story short, have some new Madrid friends. What a loquatious bunch! I joked with founder Francisco that I'll have to start PortlandBabel when I get home! Who's on board?

No comments:

Post a Comment