Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving, Everybody!



I hope you are all enjoying a wonderfully yummy T'day with family and friends. Pictured above (top pic), you will see my nod to Thanksgiving dinner, which I spotted on the way home this evening, at a street vendor's stall. A sweet potato!!! (I think... it has a red skin... I get them confused with yams.) She had these, and roasted corn on the cob and roasted chestnuts. I may go back for the other two before the night is over, it's get-off-my-feet time right now. (Well, it was that time about 3 hours ago, but it's really hard to leave the Prado.)

So as I sit here scooping out it's sweet insides, accompanied by a lovely little bottle of Tempranillo, a Catalan tomato-bread thingy I'll explain later, and a few other assorted treats... don't cry for me Argentina. I spent the whole day in the Prado, and have plenty to give thanks for in this precious moment of time. And I am doing just that, now, as I type and think of all of you who may read this post on this special Americano foodie holiday (...or tomorrow when you come out of your stupors. lol)

Yesterday I took 111 photos (hey, I shoulda done that on 11-11-11!), and today? Three. Yup. 3. That's it, there you go, they're all here. Sorry, no photos in the Prado. I don't know what that second picture is... tell ya later when I find out. And the third.... that's Velasquez, sitting outside of the Prado. I saw several rooms of his work, but had to stand up Rubens. Sorry Rubens, I just maxed out at seven hours. That was a shame, but I'll connect with him another day. (Two free hours every evening... yeaaaaaaaaaa!)

In spite of it being an amazingly perfect cloud-free sunny day--geez it was hard to be inside all day--I did indeed commence my art museum oddysey today. When I first got there I headed strait for the Sorolla paintings. Six of them. Oh... surprise... two more in another room, not dedicated to him. Joaquín Sorolla is the reason I am in Spain right now, and I'll be going to his own home/studio/museum while I am here in Madrid. But it was good to see a bit of his work already. Interesting to see him in the Prado, he doesn't really fit there at all. So fresh and spontaneous and light-filled, his work is quite a contrast with, oh, say Tintoretto. Gawd is he morbid. Walked really fast past him.

Well, that's the short and quick of it. The street is starting to bustle again, outside my window, and I think I need to join them.

Again... my most heartfelt wishes for your HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! Here is a song of thanks for you, and thanks to Ben and Marina of Notes in Spanish for pointing the way to this.
Gracias a la Vida, Mercedes Sosa

No comments:

Post a Comment