Saturday, November 26, 2011

The sky is impossibly blue.





Sorry, I just had to mention that. It blows my mind every morning. [top pic] OK, now that that's out of the way, your friendly art scout has this to report: I went to church today. Yup. It was held at Casa Sorolla, and that is what is pictured under that impossibly blue sky of the first photo... his house. As I have mentioned, Joaquín Sorolla is the reason I'm in Spain, and today I paid him a long-awaited visit. He did not disappoint. Or, as they say in corporate-speak, he "met or exceeded expectations"! (Whoa. Where did that come from? Was I really a part of that world?)

Out of the 206 photos I took during my 2.5 hour visit, which shall I post? I'll go with this one [pic 2], which is the one that smacks you in the eyeballs when you walk in the front door. I couldn't help but swirl in the detail of the horse's hoof reflection [pic 3], it's so sublime. And what the heck, there's another slather of paint [pic 4] from a different painting. And lastly, one room of the interior [pic 5], viewed from the man's desk.

I had to come home and lie down after that blast of beauty. Thank heavens I went to the San Miguel Market early this morning to stock the cupboard with inexpensive and delectable alimentaçions, because it's weekend and the hoards are out full strength today. So much for going to the café around the corner... it's jammed to the gills. This lovely little tortilla de verdura will do just fine.

2 comments:

  1. That Sorolla really knew how to put down paint, didn't he? I'm so glad you introduced me to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really did think that I had seen blue sky before, but I am deceived. That is unbelievable!
    Thanks. -Chris Sever

    ReplyDelete