Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The "copy the masters" Mir is done.


I think. Except for a few tweaks, which I can't do until Friday when I can get to the "art store" in the next town, I am missing a couple of things. It was an excellent exercise, I did learn a lot in the process (and this trip is all about process, not product. Nod to cousin Eric.)

I also got another color chart done. These charts are like doing scales for music, ya just kinda have to bite the bullet and do them. Have learned a lot with the two I've done so far... and, as it turns out, they are so informative that they're actually FUN! Especially when you take a break therefrom, eat lunch in the sunshine and wash it all down with a good local brew!

Color in these photos is quite off, as you can tell from the color chart... that paper is actually white, so that will tell you how off the white balance in these pics is. I don't have Photoshop on this laptop. Oh well. For the record....

2 comments:

  1. CP and I were talking about the trap of stopping a painting way after the point of where it should be stopped! Oops! Anyway, that doesn't happened to have occurred with this one. Nice job! I love the higher contrast at the center of the picture, and the suggestion of tree/sky which make the center even more important. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janie. And "hi" CP!!
    Yeah, I had to put the brakes on, because I started to put a hint of color into those foreground trees, and abruptly stopped myself. I think I forgot to mention that I toned the canvas with pigments from the restoration of the monastery up there at Montserrat (I don't know how they ended up here, but that's the story...) and that blue that's coming through, whoosh! I just don't want to obliterate that. The toning looked quite pastel, before the painting began, but now that there's oil paint on top of most of the canvas, the blue glow looks so intense. I didn't want to lose that.

    ReplyDelete