Thursday, September 10, 2009

Indian Hobo

The conservator I found here in Portland said, basically---although in much kinder terms---that my current batch of paintings will be dust in 4-5 years. The oil in the paint will rot the paper, no gettin' around it. And the proper preparation of the paper by mounting on museum board and coating with hide glue sounds like a major pain in the posterior. I'll give it a try... but it will take some time to do that kind of prep, so in the meantime... I'm still painting directly on paper until I have a chance to buy a bunch of canvas board.

Much to do today, I didn't get underway painting until 10 p.m. This beautiful Indian man (well, in the photo he's very handsome!) looks like he's carrying a burlap sack full of something---maybe his belongings---as he walks along, train tracks overhead. I tried to use bigger brushes, work fast, not get hung up in the little tiny bits. This will serve as an adequate study; I can see I'd like to do a larger version on canvas. Well, it's tomorrow already, I better post this!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great that you found out from an expert. So now we know! This is what I love about painting...it's unpredictability. There's always a question about what it means, how it behaves and how we feel about it. So darn complicated :)
    I like the colors you used for the face tone.

    ReplyDelete