Sunday, September 27, 2009

Expressing the ineffable



The subject of this painting has stated that he is less concerned with getting his vocals technically perfect than he is with fully expressing what is in the song to express. Of course, David is technically perfect, and that is where this comparison ends. But that is what I'm attempting to accomplish in both the technique and style of this particular painting: to express visually the experience that emerges when one hears this artist sing.

The past week has been one of exploration. Source inspiration includes the current print exhibition at PAM in the Gilkey print center, which totally bowled me over and reconnected me with my original impetus to claw my way into the graphic design profession, way back when I was 12 or so (although I didn't realize it at that age!) I should also note here that the psychological aspects of advertising gleaned from Vance Packard's The Power of Persuasion was an equally motivating force back then.

But back to last week. I began to explore the opportunities that were opening up with this new (to me) surface I've been working on: heavily gessoed paper. An avenue began to appear, along which I might tell more than one narrative in a single piece. In this depiction, I'm attempting to render both the towering awesomeness of The Voice--the anticipation we fans experience in the introductory refrains of a concert--and the ineffable quality of that Voice to reach our "very marrow" (to quote a Van Morrison lyric)--to touch our innermost being with what feels like a divine love.

I'm still trying to work into this portrait all of that love that oozes out of this extraordinary artist. It pours out of his eyes, out of his Voice, out of everything about him, really. Obviously, this painting is not technically perfect because it doesn't accurately portray what he looks like. But hopefully there is an equal expressiveness that captures what is in the subject, and available to all ears that hear.

OK, back to work on it... I really do need to represent his likeness more accurately... just thought I'd pop in here, finally, to let you know what I've been working on. And to change the parameters of my blog: my goal is now a painting-a-week!

2 comments:

  1. It looks like David :) It's great that this journey is taking you to what turned you on to art. i look at it as giving ourselves room to explore what we would do if we were to prioritize our painting journey. who knows where we end up? I've been leaning towards direct painting and well there doesnt seem to be a turning back point just yet ;)
    I totally understand about changing the format of your paintings. I've been having some days get away from me. My therapist thinks it's a great excercise in "letting go". Starting every day fresh.
    I have a hard time w/ this. I've been trying to find the best time to set aside to paint every day. i really do fight waiting until the last hours of my day... 12-2 am to paint. I have also found that I'm having a hard time keeping it to 2-3 hours a painting. I'm getting tighter in my rendering so it's getting longer more like 4-6 hrs a painting. which is the reason that I dont paint somedays because i have to catch up to what i put aside the day before to paint. there is (elusive) balance somewhere... i just know there is there has to be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very brave to attempt to capture such beauty. To quote a friend, "He is all that, and a bag of chips!'

    Great blog!

    Abrra

    ReplyDelete