Monday, June 2, 2014

Viareggio. No tourists for miles and miles and miles...........


Well this place is interesting. I've never been to Atlantic City, but this may be the equivalent. 100% certified Italian, and I'm loving it. Long expanses of beach, with the skeletons of beach activity in evidence; umbrellas folded and strapped down, chairs turned up on tables, all in perfect rows stretching as far as the eye can see.

WONDERFUL hotel and friendly staff. Love, love, loved dear old Piero (owner)--we chatted for quite a while in the beauuuuuuuuuuuuutiful courtyard--I with my Aperol spritzer that the cameriere at the restaurant let me take (the rest of) back to my hotel, because I couldn't stand the smoke blowing in my face any longer at dinner--Piero practicing his English, and me my Italian. I think it's more confirmation that I'm an old Italian soul, because whenever I have a conversation with a local, they are astounded and tell me they can "understand everything you say".

Yeaaa!  All that study is paying off.

5/26/14

No comments:

Post a Comment