Monday, June 2, 2014

Way too ambitious!



Today was just a stupid long drive, back to Italy. I forgot that I'd overnighted on the way to.... and thought, since the Cinque Terre drive was so long, that I could do the whole stretch back in a day.  Well, I did.... but that was very much not ideal. I also ducked into the Matisse museum in Nice, along the way... and traffic through Genoa was L.A.-ish... so I ended up getting to Lucca at 10 p.m.  Oh well. (There's that phrase again!) It was perfect, the room had a little fridge, and a table, and the window opened to a beautiful courtyard with nice night lighting... so I was a happy camper, eating the last of my road food which included some Pecorino cheese with tartufo, ohmygosh, soooooo good! (and some leftover wine, lord help me if I'm ever out of wine!!)

The next morning, I had a mere two hours to see Lucca. It was raining a bit (borrowed a hotel umbrella), and there seemed to be no locals in town... only pods of tourists, following their leader's waving flag around the wet stone streets. But I got two of my favorite pics of the trip (above), and two hours felt like plenty. Once on the road, I cranked up the volume on my one-and-only CD, purchased in San Gimignano (from the couple who serenaded us while painting there--did I mention that before?)

And I slid into home base--the rental car company--in Firenze with 25 minutes to spare. (Thanks to googlemaps nav--boy has that been a life-saver.)  And the rest of this day I'll have to cover later. Pooped. As usual.

5/31/14

No comments:

Post a Comment