Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sorry Charlie, we have no cars!


Yup, this is Italy.  Had a lovely last morning in Firenze, before departure, meandering through new areas, having machiatos here and there, and arriving at the appointed time to pick up the rental car. Oh noooo!  The line!!!!  After waiting 1hr15, I got to the top of the line with my reservation #, and the agent said "oh dear, so sorry, we had trouble with our server and it let you make a reservation when we had no cars".

Yup.  That's what she said.

We stared at each other for a few moments.
The other people behind me got real quiet... perhaps waiting for me to hit her?
Operative phrase in Italy:  "oh well."

Long story short..... I walked down rental car row (Via Borgo Ognissanti)...... Hertz: nope, no cars. Sorry. Avis/Budget.... YES!  I'm paying twice what I should have, but why ruin a perfectly good vacation? As dad always said, "it's only money."  (Meaning no one was injured, so it's all good.)

Now.... one more thing to be proud of myself about. I got in the car like I OWNED it, circumnavigated the city, picked up my luggage at the hotel, and only took one wrong turn getting to the autostrada.

Oh, I suppose I should mention (truth in blogging) that I did piss off a few Italians at the toll booth. No one told me how it worked, so I blocked traffic for a bit--gesticulating right back at 'em!--while I figured out where the ticket came out!! HA! As Willie would say.......... "on the road again"... just a little bit later than expected because HEY! It's Italy!!

[Note:  cheating here, with the photo. That one was in San Gimignano. Too tired to edit more pics.]

5/26/14

No comments:

Post a Comment