Monday, July 8, 2013

Smelling the lavender




The Lavender Festival is next weekend, and painters galore are out capturing the fragrance on canvas before the big art show. (I have not entered it, yet; probably won't.) Val was happy to go out into the fields with me, even tho' she's not a painter, she's quite a good model, and is incorporated into painting #1, which I started on Saturday. The long drive to HIllsboro is worth it, it's such a lovely, peaceful location, and lots of shade under which to set up and enjoy the day. The owners of Jackson School Lavender are wonderful people, to open up their property to us--thank you to both of you kind souls!

So I wanted to go back out Sunday and continue the painting, and didn't have to twist Joanne's arm to much to get her to go! I worked on the Saturday painting for a while, and then felt it was getting too labored, and started painting #2. That one was done in about 40 min., and is much more successful. Simplicity of composition is key, methinks. By painting #3, I was working very hastily--I was tired and result shows it. The "guerilla card" paper is not as nice a surface as the Ampersand panels, so I was fighting that too. Oh well... A+ for effort, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment