Monday, July 1, 2013

Annual HPSO Garden Tour - paintout


Three locations on the Hardy Plant Society of Oregon Garden Tour were open to us this year, and six of our hardy (pun intended) band of plein air painters braved the heatwave to paint in several gardens. I was in the Tuttle Garden, and after being totally bowled over by the grounds--what?, one and a half acres I think!, fully planted with every blooming thing you can imagine--I got to work in the semi-shade of a plum tree and painted Richard, who was watering the cabbages when I first arrived. (The figure is painted from the photograph on my phone taken in the morning, before he vanished for the day.)  Basically, I got it blocked in when Thomas Kitts wandered over and--wowzah!--gave me some pointers.  Thank you Thomas!

Being a total weather wimp--especially when it comes to heat--I had to take my tomato-shade-of-red face home to the A/C.  (Note to self: DRINK MORE WATER on these paintouts.) So I hope to take those pointers into the studio and bring this to a level of completion which might warrant being called a "painting". Right now, it's pretty much just an idea of a painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment