Sunday, July 8, 2012

Ode to the artichoke.


I've been writing some poetry again, sometimes inspired by something I read, or a brief thought just mushrooms (or should I say "artichoke"s?!) into a longer treatise.  This is the second season for my artichoke plants, and they (supposedly) shouldn't have produced so many already, but boy are they delicious!   Well, this poem just popped out one morning; my ode to the artichoke.  And so today I thought to do an illustration to go with it.  Actually, I should have read the poem again, beforehand, because the painting is not nearly as sensuous as the poem.  But it will do for now; I'm including the preliminary value study sketch, because I think it helped this 20-minuter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The artichoke

The artichoke has thistles
That protect its sacred heart
But it still gives up its sweetness
When its simmering leaves part.

And now the summer stalks us
Like a lover in heat
Yearning to ripen every fruit
So that berry and lips can meet.

Put your zorries on, my love
I'll take you out to see
These stems of summer wonder
That stand erect and free.

The vines will part for us,
the ground beneath lies cool,
And your roots can sink
              for a long deep drink
from the earth's dark jewel.

m.k.e.  (poem started 6/24/12; finished 7/6/12)


No comments:

Post a Comment