Sunday, July 15, 2012

Art Therapy

Last week, my cat subjected me to an experience that has left deep psychic damage.  (No, I'm not kidding.) Long story short, I arrived on the scene too late to save the adorable tiny mouse.  Percy had already had her way with it, and it looked highly unlikely that the little thing would make it, even if I did try to save it.  The thing that has etched itself on my memory is that the brave little critter stood on its hind legs and looked directly into Percy's uncompassionate eyes, and seemed to plead for its life--as if to say "aw c'mon man, give me a break".  I'm not kidding, that little thing summoned such bravery to stand up and confront her tormentor instead of run.  My heart exploded at once, and tears sprang out and I ran back into the house.  A few minutes later I went back out and sure enough, the deed was done.

I was upset for days afterwards, could not shake the image out of my head.  Or heart.  That "look" in the eyes of that tiny animal has haunted me, and I continue to ponder why it affected me so deeply.  Yesterday I went into the studio for some "art therapy", painting this experience from my tortured memory, and that is today's image.  It would be a 20-minuter, but it only took 12.

To end on a happier note, I am reminded of a book I ran across recently called Unlikely Friendships, by Jennifer S. Holland.  What a heart warmer; use the "look inside" on Amazon, I bet you'll enjoy it a lot more than what I have just described.

Moral of the story:  "Can't we all just get along?"

No comments:

Post a Comment