Sunday, October 30, 2011

Funiculì, funiculà, funiculì....



I went to the Fondació Miró today, in hopes of putting the first notch in my museum belt. Sigh. This is why people take tours, I guess. My misunderstanding of the map/metro/funicular landed me waaaaaaaaay up on top of Montjuic. It was a spectacular day--full sun, t-shirt weather. I mosied around the park a bit, appreciated the musician who was playing some fine jazz, took a few pics, and began to wonder why there was no signage to the building... the map shows it should be right here. A kindly jogger told me it was a hike down the mountain, about 20 minutes. Whoops. There is no signage because you don't take the tram to the museum. Well, it was quite a ride, and I don't mind walking, so on my way I went. Found the place, and the line by then was... well, fuhgetaboudit. Another day. Maybe.

The hoards here--everywhere--are kind of a surprise. I guess there is no off-season in Barcelona. Anyway... much walking about town again today, a brief siesta, then out again around 10pm. That's when the locals are out, and it's much more fun than swimming through the tourists during the day (she said, as if she weren't one). This could easily take star billing as a foodie town. Tonight's repast was a real gem. A Mediterranean/Belgian place with lovely wait staff and an OMG gratin dish of Belgian endive wrapped in cured ham topped with ementhaler cheese and baked in creamy cheese sauce, with chunky fried potatoes covered in herb salt on the side. SLURP. Kids--try this at home! I know I will be when I return. Oh... P.S. the restaurant is on "Ample" street. Oh yeah, that's what I'm going to be by the time I get home!

So what's that big... ahem... thing in the middle of the first picture? It's called Torre Agbar, you can google it. I think I need to see it at night now, by the Wiki description. (Pic is hazy only because of the tinted glass on the tram.)

And the second pic--the wait staff at another restaurant along the way was singing to the policia con gusto, and a crowd was forming to watch. Perhaps they caught someone who skipped out on the check. The police were appreciating the gesture... notice they are recording it on their phones!

Lastly, another stroll through Plaça Reial which is conveniently located near home.

No comments:

Post a Comment