Saturday, March 2, 2013

Thomas Kitts Workshop



March 1-3, 2013 -  Portland, Oregon
Day 1 - Thomas did a demo, and then we were to execute the same thing--a black & white "notan" of a still life (bottom image is my effort).
Day 2 - Using what we'd learned in doing the notan, and after a 2nd morning demo by Thomas, we did a color version of the same still life (top image).
I cannot take full credit for either of these; Thomas's hand is in both, that's how he is best able to teach. I will say that, in the color version, I placed a third layer in some areas--especially in the central vase--in order to get color that worked for me better.  Guess I prefer neutrals, it seems to be disturbing to me to see a white vase rendered in rainbow colors.  Hmm... we'll see if my taste changes as I ponder all of this further.
What is most challenging--that I'm learning in this--is the use of color temperature. So maybe the vase should be warmer (shades of a buttery yellow)... or cooler (an aqua)... or... well, as I say, I'm learning. The painting may be as done as it will ever be, but the work-in-progress continues. Kinda like the Hotel California... "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"!

No comments:

Post a Comment