Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Oakland Painting Sessions




While in the Bay Area, my friend Janie arranged for her frequent (terrific!) model, Jenny, to do two sessions for us. From these two sessions, I did these three paintings and another sketch or two as well. The top is my favorite. I had mixed some paint colors in advance, thinking to focus on color values and just use those colors no matter what "local color" presented itself. Well, Jenny showed up in those colors!!

The second painting incorporates the beautiful peonies from Jane's garden and, again, I was trying to pay particular attention to values. (Much more work needed there.)

And the third is from our first session, during which I tried to just get accustomed to what paints and brushes I'd brought, the studio, and environment in general. When I get these paintings back (wet oils were left at Jane's), I will make the same alteration to "Green Dress" that I've done here in Photoshop--her head was too big, and neck too long. Of course, other tweaks are needed as well.

So fun to have the opportunity to direct the model, lighting, etc. myself. Thank you Janie!

No comments:

Post a Comment