Wednesday, February 16, 2011

First painting of "painting" class!

OK, we've started painting in this painting class now! No color; tonal values only. We were to premix the darkest value, put white on the other end, create 4-5 intermediate values--not arbitrary values, but those that we see in the model. Well, of course I ended up combining some of what I'd pre-mixed to get a more accurate tonal range. It seems crazy, but it's a challenge for me, figuring out what tone any given color is. Maybe, with time, I'll be able to hit it ("see" it) accurately to begin with. With this one, Aimee gave mostly pointers, but her hand was in the underside of his nose, a little bit... geesh, noses! (In fairness to her, I must point out that what you see here isn't her work... I just got frustrated with the dang thing, and it still doesn't look right! What a stupid looking nostril!! I may have to go back into this one and fix it!) Also, I see too much drawing in this--I need smoother transitions in the form shadow, like at his jaw line.
(February 14, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment