Saturday, April 20, 2013

Waiting.


Our lovely Friday model was seated in front of a neutral-colored drapery, so I rearranged the room a bit (not literally, just in the painting!) to suit myself. I arrived for the session having just mixed the "Zorn palette" from a YouTube video, so I decided to give it a go. I had the colors all mixed before Tess even arrived.

The palette consists of two colors--yellow ochre and alizarin--plus black and white. So this was an interesting experiment. Surprisingly, I don't feel like I was missing any colors. This has more of a Hopper quality than Zorn, but that's as much because of the subject matter (the "narrative") as the color. But I wonder if Hopper used the same limited palette sometimes... I'll have to take a look. I've got a huge book of Hopper's work checked out of the library, and I'm sure that influenced my decisions in this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment